Friday, February 6, 2009

Going postal

I walked into the local post office, in need of a book of stamps. Approaching the self-service kiosk, I spied only one person ahead of me in line. This wouldn't take long. A minute or so later, the woman appeared to be finished with her postal chores. She retrieved her credit card and stepped away from the machine. But then, she turned back, her gaze centering on the kiosk's screen. "Thank you for your purchase," it read. The woman raised her hand in a half-wave toward the machine and said, "Thank you." Then this gracious customer walked out the door.

As you know, my flock, I wear a few gray hairs on my beard. And like many old-timers, I sometimes question the direction of modern man. Common courtesy and good manners often seem to be in short supply. But in this instant, in this brief exchange between woman and machine, my faith in the decency (and the peculiarity) of humanity was restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment