Monday, February 11, 2008

Trouble in Tuscany


As I mentioned a while back, I will soon be traveling to Italy. It is the low season for tourism there, but a little cold weather will not deter me. After all, I have a thick fur coat to keep me warm. After a week in Venice, my travels will take me to Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance. I have long been an admirer of the ideals of this period -- the explosion of great art, architecture and, especially, Machiavellian wisdom. So visiting this Tuscan capital is the source of much excitement for me.

But I am aware of the very real danger that Florence poses. Some who travel there succumb to the dreaded Stendhal syndrome -- an affliction affecting those overcome by the city's artwork and intense beauty. Symptoms can include dizziness, fainting and hallucinations. Honestly, it is a wonder that tourists continue to visit this den of danger.

In preparation for my travels, I have been taking in the artful masterpieces of ObeyThePureBreed.com, hoping to build up an immunity before I face the Florentine menace. I will stay strong, my flock. I intend to stare Florence in the eye, and God willing, I will do so without being driven mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment